Suffering and Perseverance Today Produces Character and Hope for Tomorrow
When I get up in the morning, it takes me a bit to get going. My brain is foggy from the meds I am taking, and the pain is moderately severe. So I make my coffee and sit down to listen to a podcast, sermon, or a bible study group on YouTube to wake up and prepare my mind for my quiet time. This morning I listened to an episode of Full Fledged, a podcast and video by J.C. Shirer and Priscilla Shirer, a mother and son having honest conversations about God and His word. Priscilla is a speaker, author, actor, and so much more. She appeared in the movie War Room, which was released a few years ago. This episode was called "Why Does Hearing God Feel So Confusing?"
This episode had encouraging truths, and it really spoke to me. Especially the part about how God will take you through certain circumstances to prepare you for His will in the future. I immediately thought back to when Mark and I were first getting together. I had been through some difficult situations, especially in relationships, and I started surrendering more to God and His will for my life. I laid my desires down and asked for God's will to be done. He was my focus. And I had prayed that He would introduce me to the one He wanted me to marry. Basically, distract me with the right man so I don't keep looking at the wrong ones. And He did!
Mark and I have talked about that many times. Sometimes he says he wishes we had met sooner in life so we could have had more time together. I sit and think about it, and as much as I would have loved to have met him sooner and avoided all the pain of the wrong relationships, I wasn't where God wanted me to be. I had to go through difficult trials to ready me for the relationship God had planned. God was building my character and drawing me close to Him so I would listen. The trials and lessons I went through right before I met Mark prepared me for what was to come.
Mark and I had a great friendship first. We weren't interested in dating each other because we were still interested in other people. So there was no pressure. We encouraged each other, supported one another, and prayed for each other. Our Godly friendship was the foundation we needed for our future. We weren't trying to impress each other or mislead each other into thinking we were something we were not. And if I hadn't gone through the trials I did before meeting Mark, I probably would have made the same mistakes I did with my previous relationships.
While listening to the podcast, scripture about perseverance, character, and hope came to mind, so I made a note to look it up after my bible reading. So I finished the podcast and went to my room to do my morning bible reading. I have been reading Paul's letters in the order he wrote them to the churches, and I was in the book of Romans. I had taken a break over the past few days and read in other areas of the Bible, so I was not prepared for what God would reveal in the next chapter of Romans. As soon as I started reading Romans 5, I just stopped in my tracks. It was the exact scripture I noted to look up later.
"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5
I sat there for a solid minute just saying, "Wow..." I praised God for His perfect will. His grace and mercy. And His perfect timing. So I spent more time meditating on God's word and what He is revealing through this passage. I knew He had to take me through those difficult moments in my past to prepare me for the future. So how does that line up with today? Same premise.
I've been going through some difficult times over the past few years. Losing family, losing friends, my health going downhill, and just facing trial after trial. I've been crying out to God to please stop all this, because I couldn't take any more. Did I believe God could take it all away? Absolutely! But I wasn't sure why He wasn't. Was I not having enough faith? Was this punishment? Was He mad at me? The answer to these questions was a resounding, "NO!"
I began to think about God's character and what the Word says. He is loving. He cares for us. He is close to the broken-hearted. He will never leave us nor forsake us. He will guide us and direct our steps. For our character to be built and for Him to use us, we have to go through trials and tribulations. The refiner's fire. Just like He did before I met Mark.
If you look back at the lives of God's servants, they went through some difficult times: Joseph, Moses, David, and even Jesus. But they went through this for a higher purpose. God had to mold them, grow them, and teach them so they could accomplish God's will. God never abandoned them. He was with them through it all.
So God has not abandoned me. He is not punishing me. He is not angry with me. He is taking me through this journey for a purpose. I need to just trust Him. I don't need to worry about the outcome. God has that.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
Thank you, Lord! Thank you for not abandoning me. Thank you for reminding me of your truth. Please continue to show me your ways, O Lord, and teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me. For you are my God, my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Amen!
So I want to encourage you. Are you going through some difficult times? Take it to the Lord. Pray for guidance, strength, and for Him to open your eyes to his plans. He may need you to do something, or not do something. Sometimes we just need to meditate on the Word and just wait. You are not alone, friend. Don't let the enemy trick you into thinking this. And don't let the enemy lie to you about God's character. The enemy wants to distract you. He doesn't want you to be used by God. He wants you to stay in your pit of despair. Stay in the Word and surrender to God. Let Him guide you on this journey, and hope will not disappoint. I promise you, He has a plan.
Jen
Comments