Fear Over Faith Delays the Blessing

Over the past few years, God has taken me through many books of the bible that demonstrate having faith over fear. I've always been afraid of bad things happening. Waiting for the next metaphorical shoe to drop. And the truth is, yes, we will go through hard times. And that's been hard to accept. Reading through Genesis has shown me two different paths that could be taken and their respective outcomes. But no matter what, God would still be there. And He takes us through different trials to strengthen our faith.
    Scripture told me that I would definitely go through difficult times, but also reassured me that God will be with me and will keep me safe.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Journal Entry Date: Feb 28, 2024

    Today I read more in Genesis about Joseph's life. Genesis 42-44. Many lessons can be learned from this story alone. One that came to mind was the testing of our faith. 

    Joseph's brothers were deceitful. They often acted in secret and lied about their actions, like what they did with Joseph. How could they hurt their brother and deceive their father? But as you read Genesis 42, they have learned their lesson because when given the chance to be deceitful again, they were honest and obedient.
    We also go through similar trials and testing of our faith. Not to tear us down, but to strengthen us. Do you crumble at the sight of trouble? Or do you cling to God and have faith? That no matter what, it's in God's hands and his outcome is worthy of praise?
    After my leg took me down, I crumbled. Even before that happened, I was struggling. But my leg taking down was the final straw. It has taken years to get to where I am now. But I can see areas where my faith was/is being tested. It's hard, but as God strengthens my faith, my peace and joy have increased.
    There have been many examples of testing the faith in the bible. Just read Hebrews 11. (Obviously) But what we don't usually focus on are the ones who doubted and what happened as a result. Let's look at Jacob.

    Jacob has a pattern of trying to do things on his own at a faster pace than God was working. By being deceitful and a trickster, he obtained the birthright and blessing of Esau from his father.

    "Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, 'Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!' (That is why he was called Edom.)
    Jacob replied, 'First sell me your birthright.'
    'Look, I am about to die,' Esau said. 'What good is a birthright to me?'
    But Jacob said, 'Swear to me first.' So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
    Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.
    So Esau despised his birthright." Genesis 25:29-34

Then, later in Genesis 27, with his mother Rebekah's help, he tricked his father into giving him his brother's blessing. You can see later in life that God was teaching him patience when it came to marrying Rachel. (Genesis 29)

    But here in Joseph's story, when Jacob's sons returned sans one brother and a message to bring the youngest, he feared and refused. And by doing so, he delayed the blessing God was planning on bestowing upon him and his family.
    This all fits in with what God has been teaching me: Faith over Fear. And to strengthen that faith, you have to be tested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so grateful to God for the lessons I have learned and the healing journey I am on. My whole world has been shaken over the past four years, but He has been my solid rock. The song below really spoke to me in my dark time. 


Thank you for taking the time to read about my journey over the past few years. More posts are to come. I pray you find encouragement through my journey.
Jen

Comments